Saturday, September 29, 2012

Using Mobile Applications for attacking Web Applications

Using Mobile Applications for attacking Web Applications:

This simple blog post was motivated by my desire to look at
some mobile applications that I happen to use. I did not choose a specific methodology for testing mobile
applications. What I did was to use some of my knowledge in testing web
applications in general.
To my pleasant surprise I got results that made
​​me happy, or not.


01 - Catalog Application.
Starting my tests, on the first application I
noticed the web server authentication credentials are simply sent in plain text
using a POST method.
Gafisa-borrada
Most of these mobile applications are just simple frontends
for web services.
This behavior has been confirmed in all tested applications.
Some examples.
02 – Auction Application
Screen Shot 2012-09-26 at 2.23.01 PM
Let's start intercepting the requests of the mobile
application and doing a simple SQL Injection test:
Leilao-02-borrada
In this specific case it was possible to notice that the application
consumed by Mobile Application is vulnerable to SQL Injection attacks.
So, one would ask, should I be attacking a Web Application
or the Mobile Application?
The answer for this question is easy, go for the Web
Application.
Extracting information’s
via SQL Injection:
Leilao-03-borrada
Leilao-04-borrada
Leilao-06
Leilao-07-borrada
After that, I’m hungry… and I love sandwich!!
03 – Fast-food Delivery Application
Ohhh no… another application that my credential in being
sent in plain text.
Essa
Conclusion
Because it is a Mobile Application developers might be
forgetting the basics of security.
If your Mobile Application is a simple frontend
the same concepts of web security must be considered.  Think about it and check some of the following
references for security best practices:
OWASP
Development Guide.

OWASP Transport Layer Protection.
OWASP SSL Best Practices.

No comments:

Wiredwizrd

Morgan Todd Lewistown, PA

Experienced Information Technology Manager with a strong knowledge of technical guidance, IT best practices, security protocols, team leadership, and analyzing business requirements.
Google